Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Shafiq heads for Princeton

Ivy League university offers him scholarship under its financial aid programme

COME September, national sprinter Shafiq Kashmiri will follow in the footsteps of John Nash, Albert Einstein and John von Neumann - famous thinkers who have graced the corridors of Princeton University. That is when the 21-year-old begins his four-year financial engineering course at his 'dream' university.

Shafiq, who is a member of the national 4x100 metres relay squad, recalled: 'I fell in love with Princeton when I watched A Beautiful Mind in JC 1. I was just in awe of the beautiful campus and the intellectual environment of the place.'

Despite four As and merits in his two Special Papers in the 2002 A-Level exams, the former Victoria Junior College triple-science student was sceptical about his chances of landing a place at the Ivy League university.

'To be honest, I didn't think I stood a chance. After all, only a few get in every year.

'But I had to apply because, if I didn't, I would've regretted it for the rest of my life,' said Shafiq, who did his national service after his A levels.

The institution not only gave him a place but also offered him a scholarship under its financial aid programme. Under the scheme, the school would pay a percentage of his fees depending on the financial status of his family.

Princeton will foot about 60 per cent of his first-year fees of some US$45,000 (S$76,000) with his parents taking up the rest.

'My parents had wanted me to be a doctor but it just wasn't me,' he said. 'I prefer maths and I've always dreamt of being in a suit and tie and working in Wall Street.'

An only child, he spent most of his childhood, first in Germany and later in China, where his father Amir, who was then a senior engineer with Siemens, was based. His mum Ayshah is an administrative officer with Singapore Airlines. He returned to Singapore when he was nine and continued his primary education at Griffiths Primary School before joining St Joseph's Institution in 1997.

When he was offered a place at Princeton last March, he was moved to tears. A place there is not the only thing that Shafiq is looking forward to. He is also aiming for a spot in the 4x100m and 4x400m squads for November's South-east Asia Games in Manila.

And his chances of being selected are looking bright, after he helped the 4x100m team beat the qualifying mark last month. Shafiq, together with Shameer Ayub, Erzalmaniq Rawi and Alfred Sim, clocked 40.66sec - surpassing the 2003 SEA Games silver-medal time of 40.86sec.

He made his SEA Games debut in 2003 in the 4x400m relay but the team finished fourth.

The self-confessed 'late bloomer' picked up athletics only at the age of 15. His breakthrough came at the 2001 Schools National championships where he won the 400m hurdles in record time and was drafted into the Combined Schools team.

The switch to the 100m came only last year after he competed at an inter-club race as training for his 400m.
His 10.98sec time convinced his personal coach Melvin Tan to persuade him to give the 100m a try - and he has not looked back.

Said national sprints coach Uli Kunst: 'His biggest strength is his consistency and versatility. He is reliable both as a runner and as a team-mate. 'He is also the only team member who is comfortable with any position in the relay.' However, the German added that his technique and speed still needed improvement.

Despite being away from September, Shafiq is confident that he can improve under Fred Samara, Princeton's head coach and former US decathlete.

Shafiq, whose personal best is 10.90, said: 'There are two runners in the Princeton team who are faster than Shyam, our nation al record holder. Training with them, I'm confident my timings will improve.'

Said Singapore Amateur Athletic Association director-general Eric Song: 'I believe he is the first national track athlete to study at an Ivy League university. Hopefully, it can show youngsters that it is possible to excel in both athletics and studies.'

Shafiq believes that sports is the reason for his academic excellence, saying: 'I wouldn't have done well in my studies if not for track. 'Because of my busy schedule, I realised the importance of quality work, not just quantity.'

And he still manages to find time for his hobbies, which include cycling, bowling, watching Formula One and collecting model cars.

So which prospect excites him more - the SEA Games or starting a new phase of his life at Princeton?

'It would have to be Princeton,' he said. 'Of course, my goal is to win a SEA Games medal, but starting school is a new experience and adventure for me. Here, I'm like a big fish in a small pond. Over there, I'll be a small fish in a big sea.'


by Chan Yi Shen
yishen@sph.com.sg
The Straits Times Interactive

No comments:

Post a Comment